Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 00:44:57 +0000
Stranded wire has plenty of spaces for water to capillary wick the length of the wire. Once I tried to make a pressure tight connection from insulated stranded wire - it leaked like a sieve.

Way back, I asked my boatyard mechanic why he was soldering crimped terminals, his answer was "in three years you will thank me". If there are chloride contaminants in the air, the corrosion process is greatly accelerated. (see https://pomametals.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/salt-air-inland-coastal-map.jpg) I have observed that some insulation, particularly older rubber insulated wire, has contaminants that accelerate corrosion, yielding the black oxide, a real PITA to clean for soldering.

Grant KZ1W