Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4 square - revisted

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4 square - revisted
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 21:02:54 -0400
Hey Tom,

I will say I have absolutely no idea whatsoever the answer to your
question.(hi hi)

I have several 4-squares, all wire.  In the woods.  Hanging on and near to
trees (omg-gasp!) Very uneven ground too. (double gasp)

Most are inverted L type as my trees are not tall.  2 raised radials for
each vertical.

I measured all the gain/pattern results (best I could) and posted all the
gory details here a couple few years ago.

Most folks told me they wouldn't work(at all).  Folks also told VE1ZZ you
couldn't connect hardline underneath 2Liter pop bottles too, or build 160m
inverted L 4-squares out of tractor trailer rims, old TV towers and hardline
but he still did it !

Bottom line. 1 dB or a slight skew in pattern here and there is not
measurable in a contest or DXing situation.

Build it and they will come.  Have fun.  Stay strong, be brave, wait for the
signals.

See you (all of a sudden) with your 4-square

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna

Question:   Is the choking impedance of the phasing cables with the beads

sufficient for an FCP elevated radial system, or do I need the total

elimination provided by the isolation transformer (as noted in Guy's
article)?

Thanks!

Tom, N2SR

Mike, Coreen & Corey