Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage impedance change in cold WX solved

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage impedance change in cold WX solved
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:23:55 -0700
Hi Mike

I have not considered the temperature coefficient of the core.  That is a great
suggestion.

I did find some generic plots of permeability vs temperature and there can be a
big change.  The data sheet from Fair Rite does not quote any temperature
coefficient values.  I’m not sure how to to test that easily other than heating
the core in the field on a cold day.  Or perhaps cooling it with an air can
upside down in the summer.
The other option is to sweep the raw wire in the field, but at -38C that would
be rather difficult.

I do plan to experiment with changing the termination resistor value this
summer to see if I can replicate the cold weather sweep.

73, de steve ve6wz