Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 rotor pricing question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 rotor pricing question
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 05:50:00 -0500
I own 2 of these and they work wonderfully.  And have owned Yaesu rotors for
years - all models.

My personal opinions:

The controllers should be sold separately on ebay/swap forums.  They should
fetch at least $100 each if they are undamaged.  Everyone needs one at some
point.  I literally have a backup on the shelf and I paid $100 for it.

The used rotors are a different story.  Technically, they are repairable at
the Yaesu repair facility.  But practically, they quickly become
uneconomically repairable and people end up buying the "rotor only" which is
going for $770 on DX Engineering right now.  Personally, I would never buy a
used rotor but hams do buy them if they are working and if not for parts.

If they have been on the tower at all, the price is at least 50% of new if
not less.  If the newer one really looks brand new, you might get $300 for
it.  Its got a good story.  The other one is essentially a parts rotor
effectively that happens to be working now but could die at any time.  If I
was offered $150, I would take it.

Ed  N1UR