Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 06:51:40 -0700
On 4/14/20 6:19 AM, Fredrick Matos via TowerTalk wrote:
Tnx Tim.

For background, I am PVRC, and I have had discussions with club members on my
plans.
W3LPL has provided good advice. Also had helpful emails with Don Daso and Jon
Zaimes.

I had some interest in the American Earth anchors, but I posed my question more
to begin a general discussion on anchors than  my application.   But if there
was a very positive response on the American Earth anchors, I would consider
using them, pricey as they are.

You make a good suggestion to connect with manufacturers and follow their plan, but
it’s not doable in my case.   I am putting up an Army surplus AB-621
tower/mast. It came without guys, so I am planning the guys right now, and will buy
Phillystran, Big Grips, etc. from DXE, around $500-600, maybe more.

Then consult an engineer who can do the loads analysis for you. ARRL has a VCE program to find engineers. The engineer can do the analysis and essentially provide the "do what the manufacturer recommends" guidance.