Re: [TowerTalk] Enamelled copper wire in NEC

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Enamelled copper wire in NEC
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 05:44:48 -0700
On 4/24/20 4:22 AM, Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H wrote:
Hi,

I use to set my wire antennas as plain copper in when modelling in NEC.
In the case I would like to get closer to reality and set enamelled copper wire
in NEC... I don't know what kind of properties to use, for the enamel layer.

Please, Any advice here?

Enameled wire (actually some sort of plastic coating) is pretty thin. I don't know that it would make much difference in the RF properties at HF frequencies. Something like AWG 12 "house wire" or the ever popular lamp (zip) cord has a much thicker coating.

if you have NEC4 which does insulated wires, you can use the IS card to set the properties of the "insulating sheath". Most plastics have an epsilon of around 2-3, and very low conductivity (so use something like 1E-6 or 1E-20)

IS 0 tagno segno1 segno2 epsilonr sigma radius

See page 58 in the NEC 4 manual
http://physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/NEC_Manuals/NEC4UsersMan.pdf

here's someone discussing it:
http://on5au.be/content/amod/amod50.html