Re: [TowerTalk] UST crank up Worm Drive rebuild

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST crank up Worm Drive rebuild
From: Mac <libbysales@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 22:16:00 -0500
Well the fun just does not end here and trying to get myself re-established and BOTA [back on the air]

Last week i had the short raising cable, so i got smart and ordered a 75' of 5/16" upping the size from factory supplied 1/4"  Big mistake, BIG didn't fit for nothing, so next day I order what i should have done the first time, good ole 1/4"  so that problem is solved and tower is vertical..

Now raising the tower, well ?  raise/lower motor sounds like a concrete truck ..Amp draw is very high 14 amps @120 volt feed..  14 amp is full load for the motor at 1725 rpm  1Hp  so i let the tension off the drive, motor only ? Expecting 2-3 amps but I get 11 amps, so we for sure got a problem, in the process of letting the tension off the worm drive, well,  now I got gear oil ALL over the tower base and you know, gear oil smell is the worst. New motor is ordered, so that problem should be solved.

So tomorrows effort now includes getting worm drive seals and gaskets on order, and comes that surely another person here on this forum has had the 'opportunity' to rebuild their Worm Drive..

All experience, help and comments welcome please.

Thanx:  mac/mc  w5mc