Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 06:40:14 -0700
On 4/22/20 1:38 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
Tom,

The proximity of the element to ground will shift the resonance, so you'll need to raise the element you're testing high enough above the ground that this detuning is no longer a significant source of error. You can use EZNEC to estimate this height.

Depending on the feedpoint configuration of the driven element, you may be able to use it as a test control to evaluate different coupling schemes for the reflector test. If you have something like the Nano-VNA or one of the various other low-cost VNAs that support short-open-load calibration, you could calibrate at the end of a 50 ohm coax cable (one long enough to reach the element under test when it is raised high enough above the ground to minimize detuning) and then measure the resonant frequency of the driven element. That would be your control standard.

You could then jumper across the driven element feedpoint to mimic the continuous reflector and then setup your "non-invasive" coupling scheme for comparison against the VNA test.

Clever idea to get a feel for the test uncertainty.

Whatever you do, it's going to be a lot of work if you want to get a result that is more accurate than the simulation with EZNEC combined with careful measurement of the final reflector assembly length. In the EZNEC simulation, just how sensitive is the performance to reflector length? Are we talking a few inches or fractions of inches? Are you worried about modeling errors or errors in the physical measurement of the overall element length when put the pieces of tubing together?

This is the most important part - the model can easily tell you the sensitivity. In fact, that's one of the useful things about modeling - it can tell you if the design is "picky" - if your 40m Yagi has element lengths that are 1/2" critical, I'd wonder about whether the design allowed for movement of the elements in the wind, and with gravity drooping them.

It's a bit tricky to relate the resonance as found in the model to the resonance expected measuring it. Let's say you replace the driven element feed point with a 50 ohm load, and you move the excitation to the reflector. You can run the sweep in the model, and get a resonance. And you could even run your model at stepladder height, or Yagi pointing vertical. But how sensitive is the resonance to soil properties. Most of us don't have a helicopter to suspend our antenna from a 377 ohm/square rope.

The slope of X is pretty steep around resonance - parasitic L or C from your measurement system will throw off the "frequency where X is zero".

If you are worried about validating the modeling process, you could first do that with the driven element (where it is easy to make the measurement) by comparing the predicted resonant frequency with the measured resonant frequency. If there is good agreement, then you could use the modeling results to build the reflector with confidence and just skip the more difficult electrical measurement of the reflector.

To be honest, if I measured numbers different than the model, and the model is of reasonable fidelity, I'd trust the model more than the measurement - especially given the complexity of measuring it without parasitic effects. I have pictures in my mind, now, of a Yagi with shorting relays and nanoVNAs in the middle of each of the elements, all mounted on a really tall tower, etc.

People DO measure the resonances (plural for a reason) on a trapped yagi, mostly because its a good check that you put the correct trap on the correct element. Sometimes, the traps all look the same, but are different inside. Or, as a quick check that you got the lengths of the pieces between the traps correct. Or that you put the right element in the right place. Yes, people DO assemble antennas with the elements in the wrong order, and a lot of feed systems will clamp on a element that is too long or too short just as well as the one that's just right.

The antennas with multiple interlaced elements (C3, for instance) are pretty easy to get mixed up. But you don't need to measure resonances to check it. You need a tape measure and the list of lengths and positions. I suppose I can imagine a field day scenario where someone had marked all the elements with tape or paint (1 band for director, 2 for driven, 3 for reflector, different colors for different bands) and the tape fell off or paint faded.