Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element

To: Tom Hellem <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:01:10 -0600
Tom,
Yes.  there is a MUCH simpler way to do this without climbing the tower.

I have tuned a number of hombrew Yagis and vertical parasitic arrays, and used
to think I needed to isolate the driver, then measure its resonance.  That is
not required.

Because of mutual coupling, the REAL R (NOT IMPEDANCE) of the driver
(feedpoint) will show a pronounced dip at the resonant frequency of the
parasitic element.  This dip in real R is independent of the tuning of the
driver.  You even can sweep the Yagi from the ground and it should still show a
pronounced dip.  (it would be preferred to sweep it at the driver, or feedline
corrected to the driver). Make sure to sweep well above and below the central
QRG.  (like 13 Mhz to 15 Mhz.)

Look at your antenna model to confirm this. In your antenna model, if you do a
frequency sweep and look at the output, you will see the dip in the real R at
the frequency that the reflector is tuned to.  On the tower, you want to see
this same dip in R at the same frequency.  This effect is a bit more
complicated on a multi-element Yagi, but on a 3 el Yagi, you will still see the
dip in the R at both the Reflector tuned QRG and the director QRG.

The mistake some make with this analysis is they look at the IMPEDANCE on the
analyser.  That is wrong.  We see the dip in the real resistance.  ie. the R in
Z= R+jX. Most analyzers will plot R vs frequency.

73, de steve ve6wz