Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 08:13:59 -0700
Art,

In reverse order

1. Natural colors for many plastics aren't UV resistant unless specified as such when a "sunscreen" chemical was added. Black is a safe bet since carbon black is the colorant and the material is opaque.

RE chemical resistance, here is the McMaster spec sheet https://www.mcmaster.com/4296a164 UHMW is pretty tough stuff. I've also used blue nylon for element clamps and it works well, no UV problems.

2. Commercial hot dip galvanizing should be around a max 0.007" thickness. I machine the diameter 0.030" oversize and lightly file off any Zn droplets in the mast contact area.

3. Drilling UHMW has to be done with definite precautions since the material is gummy. A stock twist drill will grab into it and since it is so slippery grab it out of most any vise. Twist drill tips need stoned with a small flat (dubbing) to prevent that. Easy to do and also needed for drilling most plastics, brass, or bronze.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/dubbing-drill-bits-183967/

An advantage of using a stack of thinner materials (maybe up to 1") is the hole can be made with a standard hole saw. Drill a three 1/2" holes just inside the final diameter so chips have some place to evacuate from the hole saw slot. A very slow RPM is needed. I have a milling machines and lathes so they make it easy, drill a pilot hole and bore to diameter or I can CNC it. Most any garage lathe can do the job or a hour at a job shop. Another choice might be a router with a plastic routing cutter and a plywood guide, but I have not done that. TAP and other plastic suppliers with CNC routers might do it.

Have fun! Be safe.

Grant KZ1W