Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 12:47:55 -0700
Rich,

I posted the picture from last year's maintenance checkup on dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u7mjsz8kjrgef0/Rohn%2065%20UHMW%20bearing%208-2019.jpg?dl=0

The collar is not handling any load, it is there for servicing and backup in case there is a prop pitch failure. It is made from 6061 heavy wall tubing plus a load ring. This diameter is held to the six 1/2-13 IIRC SS grub screws tube part with 3 flat head machine screws. I machined the mating ring in the UHMW so debris wouldn't accumulate.

The mast is 3" dia 0.25 wall x 20ft. 15ft up is a JK 2L 80 yagi. Four galvanized bolts hold the bearing to the custom waterjet cut Rohn 45 top plate.

Extruded UHMW is a bit wavy so a light milling cut was done on both top and bottom surfaces. Probably overkill.

I borrowed this idea from Brad K7ZSD when he sold me the other yagis on my tower. He was using the design for top and bottom swing arm bearings on an R45 tower. The white UHMW he used was showing significant UV damage.

Grant KZ1W