Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Bonding to Teflon

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Bonding to Teflon
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 14:10:35 -0700
On 7/9/20 1:06 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Build a frame for it and hold it to the frame with
a clamping scheme, using a gasket to make it
water proof.  You can then glue the frame to
the horn.

73
Rick N6RK

On 7/9/2020 11:13 AM, Gedas wrote:
Pardon the OT post but we have so many knowledgeable folks here I was hoping I could get a quick answer.

This is antenna & RF related so maybe not super far off OT hi-hi.

I have a 1/16" thick 3"x3" sheet of Teflon that I need to "glue" to the front of a uW horn antenna to keep water, dirt, bugs, etc out of it. Can anyone tell me what type of adhesive is known to adhere to Teflon and is not too difficult to acquire? TU

what people do in the microwave business is basically what Rick suggest.. Or you can use PTFE (or nylon) screws, and tap holes in your sheet of PTFE.

You do know that you're going to change the pattern/gain of your horn by putting a substantial fraction of a wavelength of dielectric in front of it. If you just want to keep bugs out, there's a variety of adhesive tapes that would work, and last quite a while (i.e. they're UV resistant). It's wretchedly expensive, but Kapton tape would work, and in the 1/2 mil thickness won't change the horn pattern very much. Then you're just limited by the acrylic adhesive (and you can always make a clamp)

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....