Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beam problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beam problem
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 12:52:54 -0500

Dead to me would mean no signals. Coax does not typically open unless physically cut which you could see. It is likely a connection issue or a balun. What type of balun are you using? Hopefully not a BN-86. I would connect your radio at the tower base past any relays or lightning protectors just to be sure that it is not something else.

John KK9A

Dave Thompson thompson K4JRB wrote:
 Gang,

My Cushcraft 2 el 40 went dead on me and after checking the coax it seems either the coax or balun may be bad.

Is there a way to use the MFJ antenna analyzer to check the problem from the ground. The beam is mounted 10 feet above the TEnnedyne T-10 so its not easy to physical check out. I will probably have to get a tower professional to do the work.

73 Dave K4JRB