Re: [TowerTalk] Flat Wrenches

To: Joe Partlow <joe.w6jwp@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Flat Wrenches
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 21:29:06 -0500
Thickness is unspecified, and the smallest wrench is 3/8".

73,
Scott K9MA

On 7/21/2020 8:40 PM, Joe Partlow wrote:
Will these do the trick?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Thin-Head-Access-Wrench-Set-6-Piece-H100THCW6PCSM/305713153

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:36 PM K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us <mailto:k9ma@sdellington.us>> wrote:

    "Thin head wrenches" does yield some results, but none of them
    seem to
    specify the actual thickness. That includes the very expensive set
    from
    McMaster-Carr.  I have many sets of "Ignition Wrenches", but all
    except
    that old, cheap one are thicker than a 6-32 or 8-32 nut. Perhaps the
    solution is a cheap set from Harbor Freight, and the grinder.

    73,
    Scott K9MA

    On 7/21/2020 6:00 PM, jimlux wrote:
    > On 7/21/20 3:26 PM, Don wrote:
    >> And metric.
    >>
    >> Don W7WLL
    >>

    >> On 7/21/2020 2:03 PM, K9MA wrote:
    >>
    >> Speaking of which, it's hard to find wrenches thin enough to
    lock two
    >> 6-32 or 8-32 nuts together. I have one old, cheap, Craftsman
    set that
    >> works, but sooner or later I'm going to lose one of those up on
    the
    >> tower. All the small wrench sets ("Ignition Wrenches")
    available seem
    >> to be too thick. Short of grinding them down, does anyone know
    where
    >> to get thin ones in SAE sizes?
    >>

    > google for "thin head wrench"
    > Lowes and Home Depot have them.
    >
    > The 6 and 7mm are 2.2 mm thick (1/4 and 5/16 in SAE), the 8-11mm
    are
    > 2.6mm - those are a tenth of an inch thick, roughly.
    >

    > or "ignition wrench" - same sort of thing - about 1/16" thick
    for the
    > small ones.
    >

    > I used to buy 5/16" (fits SMA) double open end wrenches in lots
    of 10,
    > because we'd lose them.  You'd put one in your pocket, and forget
    > about it, or it would be on your desk, then get buried.

- 73 -
- Joe W6JWP

--
Scott  K9MA