Re: [TowerTalk] Knots

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Knots
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:41:07 -0400
Everything I need to know about knots, I learned as a boy scout.  I have
been climbing for 63 years and the knots I use are, bowline, square knot,
two half hitches, clove hitch, pipe hitch, square lashing (not often),
sheet bend (not often) and any of them on a bight.  That's all I have
needed. Rope and cable management are of great importance for safety and
efficient work flow.  I have built rope and cable caddies that handle that
job.  My tractor and lawn tractor with a wagon are the real workhorses.
Most of the time I work alone and the tractors do the heavy lifting.
Working alone requires special rigging techniques to avoid my need to do
heavy lifting and to allow me to walk away at any point and leave the
system in a safe condition. It often takes more than a couple of days to
rig for a job and perhaps an hour or two to do the work. I have pretty much
given up working alone and at age 78, my endurance and stamina limit me to
about an hour's work at a time.  I am pretty close to "retirement" in the
climbing business.

I have been pleasantly surprised to find (mostly on this list) quite a
number of guys who climb.  Almost everyone that knows I climb has said to
me that they are frightened to get off the ground.  My reply is that they
are what is called normal.  99.99% of the people are made this way.  The
rest of us, who climb, are wired a bit differently.

73,

Dave, K4TO