Re: [TowerTalk] Knots

To: k4to@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Knots
From: Charles Gallo <charlie@thegallos.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:56:49 -0400
On 2020-08-07 09:41, Dave Sublette wrote:
Everything I need to know about knots, I learned as a boy scout. I have been climbing for 63 years and the knots I use are, bowline, square knot,
two half hitches, clove hitch, pipe hitch, square lashing (not often),
sheet bend (not often) and any of them on a bight.
<snip>

Yeah, those are the basics - two you MIGHT want to add, as they are just darned useful

1)Prusik knot - useful for adding a bight in the middle of a line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik 2)The Figure 8 knot. Not really used to tie things off, but as a "stopper knot" - to prevent a line from falling through a pulley (or your hand for that matter)

Then there are some of my favorites, one of you MIGHT know Dave, from the scouts, where they often called it a Woggle - totally decorative - the turkshead knot

And if you are working with laid rope (the ones with strands) - a Matthew Walker or a Wall and Crown as a stopper knot. Not really more effective than a figure 8, but a lot better looking. The other thing is learning to splice (particularly laid rope) - a spliced loop or a splice between two lines is WAY stronger than a knot

(disclaimer, I used to be a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers )

--
Charles Gallo
http://www.thegallos.com