Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000DXA - Post Installation Alignment

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000DXA - Post Installation Alignment
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:11:01 -0700
On 8/16/2020 1:22 PM, Gedas wrote:
Zero'ed in on a known station to the NW, noted the dial was off.

Hi Gedas,

Antennas on my two towers are oriented by observing the tower shadow at solar noon, placing a marker along the shadow, and visually sighting orientation of the boom and the marker. My most directional antenna is a 30 ft long 6M 7-el LFA, and I think I've gotten it right -- it seems to correlate with headings to known locals.

Remember that there are all sorts of propagation mechanisms that can shift the azimuth and elevation of a signal path that includes the ionosphere, and at VHF and above, reflections are a common effect. During HF contests, for example, I often work stations via backscatter, and often hear them better than by pointing a 3-el Yagi at their geographical direction. Contesting can be a great teacher if you're paying attention. :)

73, Jim K9YC