Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna and Radial current

To: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna and Radial current
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 21:38:31 -0400
Bob,

The reference to Dick Weber's article in the last email is the first time I
have heard of shortened radials supposedly being better than full quarter
wave.  Seems worth exploring.  My vertical is a full quarterwave tall, but
yours won't be too much shorter. Perhaps you can put some top loading on it.

How tall is your tower?  Is there a yagi on top?  That might be useable as
a folded monopole feed and the radials can still be elevated.  Start them
at ground level and bring them up in a Vee to ten or 15 feet high.  Then
they would be out of the way for mowing and walking around.

Soil conductivity has a lot to do with performance of radials and how high
they should be.  I don't claim to be any sort of an expert.  I just try
things, measure them as best I can and hope for the best.  Your elevation
and surrounding terrain will affect the performance more than anything else.

73,

Dave, K4TO