Re: [TowerTalk] VSWR Heating in Chokes and Baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VSWR Heating in Chokes and Baluns
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 19:30:17 -0700

I was referring to a balun with that statement.

Dave   AB7E

On 2020-09-03 5:52 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

I remember, though, previous discussions here on TowerTalk where
more knowledgeable people than either you or I pointed out that
damaging core heating in a typical ferrite balun or common mode choke
is far more likely to be the result of dielectric losses due to high
VSWR than it is due to eddy current losses due to high current in
the winding.

Where would that "high current in the winding" come from?  VSWR is a
transmission line effect and, as such, the currents in the winding
would be balanced (parallel wire choke) and/or contained on the
*inside* of the shield (coaxial choke).  There would be no current
contribution and thus no magnetic field from the transmission mode
currents at any level of VSWR.

Further VSWR does not on its own cause common mode (unbalanced)
currents - thus no increase in common mode current with VSWR.  In
any case, with sufficient choking impedance there should be very
little common mode current (and no heating).

The most likely cause(s) of heating are:
1) thermal heating due to I^2R losses in the transmission line -
  e.g. a parallel wire balun wound with small gauge wire in
  a high power system
2) excessive common mode current - e.g. a balun designed for
   14-30 MHz at the feedpoint of a tribander with insulated
   elements at the top of shunt fed tower on 160 meters.  In
   that case the 5-10K Ohms of choking impedance at 14-30 MHz
   becomes maybe 1K a 1.8 MHz but the "circuit" impedance at
   that point on the tower can be 10-20K meaning the balun
   does nothing to prevent (reduce) the common mode current
   through the balun/core.
3) possibly poor thermal design (e.g. closed case).
In all cases the issue isn't choice of core material, it is
proper system design.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV