Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 13:50:27 -0700

Very true, and that's essentially what N6BT's ZR antennas were.

In general, of course, the feedpoint impedance goes down for a shortened antenna, which typically means the feedpoint efficiency suffers, and the bandwidth gets a lot narrower.

If you can effectively get the power to a shortened antenna the radiated energy is not a lot different than for a full sized antenna, either for magnitude or pattern.  I just modeled a 25 foot vertical dipole for 80m with the bottom two feet off the ground. The main lobe is 0.77 dbi at 27 degrees which is almost identical to a full half wavelength vertical dipole, but the feedpoint impedance is 3 - j3000.  That's going to be really hard to match without a ton of loss.  TLW's tuner calculator says that an L-Network with an inductor Q of 200 and a capacitor Q of 1000 would have over 10 dB of loss and result in a 6 KHz bandwidth.  Even an inductor Q of 400 is going to dissipate 1,000 watts in the inductor with full legal power feeding it, so I suspect such an antenna would be limited to more like 100 watts input.

73,
Dave   AB7E