Re: [TowerTalk] Low Cost 20 Foot Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Cost 20 Foot Mast
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 07:53:56 -0700
Another thing to note is that irrigation tubing comes in several wall thicknesses.

As was noted, the thinnest wall will not handle u-bolts. The tube is swaged into the couplings at the ends. Unless a plug + collar can be machined to fit, making a new end, best to only use the factory lengths.

One gotcha I experienced was metal fatigue, since aluminum has no "infinite fatigue life" stress threshold like steel. My 80m vertical sections harmonically coupled between guys and fractured at the highest stress point. (guys were at couplings) So guys need to be spaced unevenly to reduce vibration mode coupling.

The thin wall is easily damaged and dents substantially reduce the strength for slender column buckling.

Grant KZ1W