Re: [TowerTalk] Low Cost 20 Foot Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Cost 20 Foot Mast
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:00:31 -0700

PVC is a really, really bad idea.  PVC can "cold flow" over time and there is very little chance it will hold much weight very long no matter what you do to support it.

I agree with Jim Lux ... 4 inch irrigation tubing is lightweight and pretty strong, and Rain-for-Rent is a national chain that often has used stuff for sale.   The biggest issue would be how to securely mount your rotators to it since the wall is pretty thin.

Best bet, though, is probably a couple of narrow tower sections ... like six inch or eight inch cross section.  Ask around and I'd bet somebody has some they'd be willing to part with.  Or even look for somebody who had a similar tower for a TV antenna but no longer uses it.

73,
Dave  AB7E