[TowerTalk] Feed Point Choke Question

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feed Point Choke Question
From: Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 19:39:45 +0000 (UTC)
Hi, gang,
I'm racing the arrival on Minnesota's winter, and I need to install a hexagonal
beam on top of my short test tower.
In the past, when building RF chokes onto FT-240-43 or FT-240-31 ferrite cores,
I wrap the turns tightly around the core. With my RG-8X rotator loop, I'm not
sure that I should wrap them so tightly?
The G3??? Hex Beam SK from karinya.net tested a bunch of RF chokes, and one of
his recipes that should work for a 20-10 antenna is 5 turns of RG-58 around an
above-mentioned Type 43 core.
Question: Do I have to wrap the turns tightly (risking center conductor
migration?), or can I loop the 5 turns through the core with a 2-inch bending
radius?
If that makes a difference, should I add additional 2-inch-radius loops? I
tested and can get as many as 10 turns through the core.
NOTE: I do not have time to purchase different cores, cables, etc. Winter is 48
hours away. :)
I have suitable lengths of RG-58, RG-8X, RG-213 (don't wanna cut it tho),
LMR-240, RG-6 quad, LMR-400 clone (can get from a fellow ham) on hand to make
this rotator loop/choke. I have FT-240-43 and FT-240-31 cores on hand,
Thanks, as always,
Kirk, NT0Z

My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com
and on the Amazon Kindle (soon)