Re: [TowerTalk] Small mast design - comments?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Small mast design - comments?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 15:40:59 -0800
On 11/12/20 2:31 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Wow, are those bolts small!

John KK9A

yes - if you've got 1 1/2" and 2" tubes, you could use a 3/8" bolt with no problem.

I'd actually use a quick pin with a captive cotter - like you see on trailer hitches. No fumbling around with nuts and washers.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BUYERS-PRODUCTS-Safety-Pin-426V29

Ross Tucker wrote:

The upper section of mast is 12' of 6061 aluminum, 1-1/2" diameter, 1/8"
wall thickness. _IF_ by some miracle, it happens to telescope, that's
great, but my assumption is that I will bolt this side-by-side to the lower
mast at three places, using #6 SS bolts (4" long). Just below each antenna,
we will attach guys running forward and back along the RV.

Am I missing anything important?