Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65G Flange Question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65G Flange Question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 21:54:09 -0800
I purchased 200+ ft of R65G old enough to need regalvanizing which I had done. I don't know if it is "old" or "new" design, never heard of that. All flanges were center drilled around 1"+. A line thru two flange bolts bisect the center of the tower. The holes are there for liquid zinc to flow out when galvanizing plus drainage. Now 142' of it is in the air with 8 large antennas. The 60 ft left over is available cheap.

My view on the welds is if done to code by a certified welder only one on top of the flange is all that is needed. Clearly heavy duty fixturing is needed to weld up these tower section. Never had a problem other than cleaning zinc drops out of holes. Use A325 lubricated (often blue colored) hot dip galvanized bolts, heavy nuts, and Nordlock lock washers. (McMaster) Bring muscles and a torque wrench to the job. 110ft-lbs lubricated; 220ft-lbs clean.

Two problems with painted towers are the paint needs stripped if you want to regalvanize and the inside is not painted.

My Rohn Unguyed book says unguyed R65 is limited at 90mph to 3.3sq ft at 60ft. There were no designs for higher wind speeds and I think this is pretty much the lowest wind speed now code required.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA