[TowerTalk] Hygain rotor controller question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hygain rotor controller question
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 15:03:00 +0000
I've had a "new" (never used) HAM IV and controller  I bought on eBay a decade
ago. Recently put up a short tower with a C3, 6M and 2M yagis and decided to
use it. The back of the controller says Telex/HyGain, so I assume it is fairly
old.

Worked on the bench. Worked outside after I got the tower and antennas
assembled. Brought it inside, did the final wiring and the position meter was
stuck at full scale. Shorting the rotor pot legs to ground did not change the
meter position.

Long story short, I took it apart and brought it to the workshop to diagnose,
figuring it is something simple (there is nothing to the meter circuit). Poking
around, I notice there is a switch on the calibrate pot that is activated by
push/pull and is not mentioned in the manual I have or shown on the schematic.
I had apparently pushed it while wiring the back panel. Pulling it out restored
the operation of the meter circuit.

What the heck is it for?

Al
AB2ZY