Re: [TowerTalk] Need ideas for 80m Vertical Foldover Base

To: RVZ <rlvz@aol.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need ideas for 80m Vertical Foldover Base
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 14:55:53 -0800

On 11/23/2020 3:14 PM, RVZ via TowerTalk wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hoping you'll have some ideas on how I can home brew an "Insulated Fold over Base"
for an 80-meter Vertical which will be fed at the base and needs to be insulated from
ground. Related information: The bottom 32' of the Vertical will be an Aluminum tower.
The top 35' of the Vertical will be telescoping aluminum tubing, the c

FWIW, it is fairly easy to make a guyed 80 meter vertical
out of 3 inch aluminum irrigation pipe, which doesn't
cost much.  OTOH, aluminum lattice towers are quite
expensive, even used.  I would never waste my aluminum
tower sections on a guyed vertical.

There are innumerable simple schemes to make an insulated pivot
for use at the bottom of the pipe vertical to insulate it
from ground.

YMMV

73 Rick