Re: [TowerTalk] Guy tension gauge

To: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy tension gauge
From: "Steve, NR4M" <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 19:39:55 -0500
Hello Wayne,

What is the Loos gauge telling you?
Those things were intended for the type of cable used on boat rigging. They
probably do that just fine.
The finer stranding of the boat cable deflects more easily than the EHS cable
would, so I think all bets are off as far as accuracy goes.
The best you can do with a Loos gauge, and it probably does it just fine, is
show you if the EHS tension is equal.
But, if I recall my physics correctly, -if- all guys at any given level are
identical ( same distance to each guy anchor, etc) then the tension on any one
will be the same as the other two.
I have a nice, brand new tension dynamometer and I have been intending for
several years on taking pieces of 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 inch EHS, putting
them in series with each other and the dynamometer between BIG trees, and try
and calibrate a large Loos gauge.

Just everyone be careful.

73 de Steve, NR4M

Sent from my iPhone