Re: [TowerTalk] 65G "Look-Alike" Tower

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 65G "Look-Alike" Tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:55:22 -0800
Byron,

All else (alloy, fabrication means, heat treat, wall thickness) being equal, the slight increase in leg diameter will provide an small increase in compressive and bending strength. However, a larger factor is the steel alloy of the tube vs pipe and how it was fabricated.

Standard schedule 40 pipe (A500 48ksi yield) is welded from flat and done. Tube might be welded or drawn over mandrel (DOM) cold extruded from solid. Higher strength steel (A513 74ksi yield) is often used for welded tube. 1020, 4130 (Chromoly), 4340 and many others are also available DOM. Then how the tube was heat treated to possibly much higher yield strength is another variable. Then when and where the tube/pipe was made. A trip to a recycle yard will show lots of bad weld split seams.

So lots of variables, and it is very difficult to field verify what alloy you have. A weld seam inside is a clue, but not definitive. A hardness tester can tell a lot about the heat treating or lack thereof.

I am not a PE, and the unknowns do create risks. Then your wind exposure is a bigger variable, but if that is limited, your use of the Rohn guidance seems reasonable IMO.

Grant KZ1W