Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - reuse or replace

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - reuse or replace
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 06:44:25 -0600
Do not use Radio Shack or similar off brand PL-259s. DX Engineering, Mouser, etc have Amphenol connectors and they ship them quickly. I believe that DXE also has quality premade cables with Amphenol connectors. Buy extra so you have them when you need them next time and extra barrels too. I believe that you have a K3 and KPA-1500 amp, don't run a $10,000 station though a flaky connector. Outside of lightning strikes, I have not seen arcing on my Amphenol connectors. You have plenty of time to properly fix this by the weekend.

GL,
John KK9A

N4ZR wrote:

I've discovered that one of the PL-259s on a pre-made RG-8X cable shows
carbon tracks inside and arcs when I try to use it - I run full power
through the junction on 40M and lower bands. Am I right to assume that I
need to replace the connector, or is it feasible to clean up and reuse?
Should I toss the mating barrel connector as well?  I don't mind
replacing, but with ARRL DX next weekend and Radio Shack out of
business, time is a consideration.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.