Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Work

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Work
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:16:00 -0800
On 2/26/21 5:39 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Proper swaging of the sleeves is proven by measuring the compression of the sleeve with a go/no go gage.  $20 is pretty cheap insurance for a beam needing a truss.

https://loosnaples.com/swaging-accessories/locoloc-go-no-go-gauges
https://www.e-rigging.com/go-no-go-swage-gauge

Cable clamps on Phillystran need to be torqued to spec a few times over a period of days to insure they completely cut through the PE and are bearing on the Kevlar.  I've had them slip when this was not done and the PE creeps.  Also clips are not recommended for larger size Philly.

Grant KZ1W

I'd be pretty surprised by a properly applied (checked with gauge, or calibrated crimper) swage slipping. The cable would break first. I don't think I've ever had one fail, except when I used the wrong size sleeve for the cable, or was trying an "improvised crimper" (like bench vise.. please don't judge me, it's all i had at the time).  If you have the right dies in the crimper, it's almost impossible to get it crimped wrong, because the "crush" is entirely set by the notches in the dies.

The swage checker is a good check for things like "someone interrupted me while I was crimping" or "something looked like it was going to fall off the bucket, while I'm up in the swaying bucket truck in the wind"