Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 13:46:46 -0800
On 3/1/21 12:31 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I have never seen anyone put two SteppIRs on the same mast but the 7 ft
separation is more than adequate for operating on two bands simultaneously.
One of my homebrew 20m beams also has a commercial 40m beam mounted on the
same boom and there is no interference except on the harmonic.

One potential threat I'll mention..

Say you're transmitting on antenna 1 on, say, 15 m, and using antenna 2 on 20 m.

You then command antenna 2 to 10 m because of a band change. During the time that the antenna is changing the element lengths, there will be a short(TBD) time when the element lengths on antenna 2 are close to the element lengths on antenna 1, and the antenna to antenna coupling will greatly increase, especially if they're pointed the same direction.

(the pattern on antenna 1 will probably go wonky too, because of the new "parasitic elements" on the antenna)

If I did the analysis, and the levels looked scary from a receiver burn out standpoint, I'd arrange the switching logic so that Rigs don't connect to their antenna until they are in their final configuration. (and, also, that you have a lockout to prevent you from setting two antennas to the same band)

7 feet is a pretty small fraction of a wavelength (about 1/5th) , even on 10 meters.