Re: [TowerTalk] HFT

To: K7LXC <k7lxc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFT
From: Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:40:53 -0500 (CDT)
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/wireless/wall-street-tries-shortwave-radio-to-make-highfrequency-trades-across-the-atlantic

----- Original Message -----
From: "k7lxc--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 9:05:09 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] HFT

Howdy, TowerTalkians -

    This is a little off topic so feel free to use your delete key.     In the
last month I've spotted 3 big HF yagi installations mounted on non-ham towers
on non-ham properties. One had 3 big yagis, one was a big SteppIR by itself and
the other had 2 big SteppIRs. All were pointed fixed east (I'm in the Seattle
area).     Turns out that these are probably used in High Frequency Trading.
That is, stock trading where fiber wasn't fast enough and the users have turned
to HF to decrease the lag time. I thought it was pretty interesting and I'm
curious how much this is being used. And at least they're not in the ham bands
- hi.  Cheers,Steve    K7LXC