Re: [TowerTalk] Polyamide (Stauff) Insulator Clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyamide (Stauff) Insulator Clamps
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 06:54:05 -0700
On 3/18/21 3:51 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
My 40m OptiBeams use black clamps, I am not sure of the manufacture but they look like Stauff clamps.  I wonder who is saying that the black clamps have a carbon issue?  Can you buy one and test it?

John KK9A

There are so many black colored plastics of so many different bulk resistivities and/or RF properties, you'd have to measure one to find out.

It is true that some black plastic uses carbon black as a filler to improve UV resistance. But hey, they also use Titanium dioxide (which is white) as a UV resistance improver. And there's other ways to get UV resistance (as by using a different kind of plastic).

There are plastics deliberately designed to be conductive or dissipative (for ESD protection purposes, usually). But whether they are DC resistive doesn't tell you a lot about the RF properties.

The other thing is that, like plastic pipe, the composition of the plastic in components is not the same from unit to unit. If it's a clamp, they're concerned about things like mechanical properties, maybe CTE or thermal properties.  The mix of plastic going into the molding or machining process could vary substantially - depend on what was in the bins of recycled plastic, etc.   When I used to build HV equipment, we used a lot of pvc pipe (normally a good insulator), but we always had to test it first, particularly if it was a leakage sensitive application.

For most plastic, there's a sort of gross conductivity check - people expect plastic to be an insulator - but that's about it.

Byron W5FH wrote:

Hello-    I am a little confused about the UV and electrical properties of the polyamide insulator clamps (hydraulic and tubing line support clamps) used on the VHF LFA yagis. I have viewed commercially produced VHF LFA yagis that utilized green colored ones to support 13mm tubing elements. I have read the black ones are better in regards to UV resistance. However, some antenna manufacturers state the black colored clamps have additional carbon in them and the antenna element lengths will need adjusting.    My head is nearly spinning after trying to research this. I have tried to look through the thousands of polyamide clamps in the Stauff catalog. Can anyone shed any light on whether the green colored polyamide clamps, such as used on an E-Antenna 6 meter 7 element LFA yagi, are inferior in regards to UV resistance? I see where a competitor (making mostly HF yagis) states the black clamp assemblies they use are better in regards to UV resistance of the green ones that E-Antenna uses, but I wonder if the black clamps have identical electrical properties or would corrections need to be made to elements? I see where G0KSC, an authority on the LFA and their construction, offers the green colored clamps.   Thanks,   Byron W5FH