[TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection
From: Ron Hylton via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:11:37 +0000 (UTC)
Hello All -
I'm contemplating the best route for the coax and control cables from a new
tower to my single-point ground and shack.  The easiest and shortest way to get
the cables to my entry point is by running them through the crawl space of my
house (diagonal across the span of the house), and then back outside to the
entry point.
My concern about doing this is bringing the cables into the house (albeit the
crawl space) without lightning protection.  Certainly I could install
protection at the base of this tower for all lines before making the run under
the house, but this doesn't really adhere to the single point ground notion.
Trying to run the cables underground in conduit to the entry point would be
quite a hassle for multiple reasons - a retaining wall in the path, sprinkler
system, septic drain field, etc.
One other note - I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so lightning is not a real
common occurrence, but I still want to do this the safe and right way.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
73,Ron  AD7LHillsboro, Oregon