Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection

To: Ron Hylton <ad7l@ymail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection
From: w6rgs@cox.net
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:19:41 -0700
Hi Ron,

I have a 94' coax run from my tower antennas to the house entrance.  I had considered running the cables thru a 3" pvc tube from near the tower thru the attic and down into the shack from the ceiling.  Too much of a hassle.  Instead, I brought the cables (4) down inside the cable arms and ran them along the house under the eaves.  I used 6" screw-in bicycle hooks about every 6 feet to hold them.  At the NEMA box outside the shack, I dropped the cables to come up under the box and connected them to lightning arrestors attached underneath.  The box is grounded to an 8ft rod outside the shack, below the NEMA box.   Cables from inside get into the box thru a length of 3" galvanized pipe inserted in the wall.  Everything is weather-tight.  If I ever need to change out a cable, I don't have to crawl under a house or thru the attic. Cables inside the shack are grounded with a separate external ground.

Best of luck,

Bill W6RGS