Re: [TowerTalk] Symptoms of antenna interaction?

To: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Symptoms of antenna interaction?
From: David Propper <k2dp@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 22:08:00 -0500
Al,

I have had a 6 mtr beam mounted above my TA-33 tribander in several different
installations for the past 40 plus years.  There has been no significant
interaction between the two antennas (50 MHZ DXCC and WAS/WAC are the
proof…………DXCC Honor Roll on HF as well, all antennas never higher than 45
feet).  The 6 mtr beam has been either a 4 or 5 element beam on a 12 foot boom.
 My rule of thumb has always been to mount the 6 mtr beam 5 feet above the
tribander.  If you need to mount the two meter beam on the tower, you could
follow Chuck’s recommendation below or extend the mast by coupling a smaller
diameter mast to the top of your existing mast.  The two mtr beam has minimal
wind loading, so shifting down to a smaller diameter mast coupled to your main
mast would be ok for the 7 element beam.

FYI, when you mentioned that you tuned the antenna on the ground, just how
close to the ground was the antenna ? Was it in a horizontal plane, or was it
tuned on the tower and the tower folded over, so that either a director or
reflector was close to the ground ?

Good luck and hope to hear you on 6 mtrs once the Sporadic E season starts.

73,
Dave, K2DP
St. Louis, MO