Re: [TowerTalk] Symptoms of antenna interaction?

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Symptoms of antenna interaction?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 00:12:13 +0000
Thanks to all for the help!

To make a long story short, this setup was what I could do without a zoning
variance, which I'm saving for a time in the near future when I have more land
and will put something up in the 70-80' range.

Originally I was going to just put 6M and 2M beams on this shorty (35') tower
as I got bit by the VHF bug last summer. Ray NM5O was selling his QTH which was
just a couple miles from me and I bought a disassembled old C3 for a couple
hundred bucks from him about the same time I was ordering parts and getting the
building permit for the tower, so I decided to throw that up there as well. I'm
glad I did.

I tuned all the antennas either sitting on sawhorses or elevated a few feet and
pointing skyward.  This was done late last October, with the project completed
after the first small snowfall in November (I needed frozen ground to run the
man lift over the yard without sinking - a very long horror story).

So yes, this is an all new installation for me.

It does sound like my symptoms are interaction. Extending the mast is probably
beyond what I can do with climbing alone. I'm using some 1.5" EMT (I think that
is the size) as it was a) what I could get locally and b) was what would fit
through the top section guide after trying and returning water pipe and rigid
conduit.

I would not have thought that turning the 6M beam 180 degrees would have any
effect except to repeat the problem, but I will try that first as it makes the
azimuth math easier.

Al
AB2ZY