Re: [TowerTalk] copper

To: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper
From: Rod Greene via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 15:06:34 +0000 (UTC)
Demand for new homes and housing in our area has driven up prices for building
supplies greatly - two or three times at least. Builders can’t keep up with the
demand and still there’s a huge influx of people. I hate it .....73, Rod/w7zrc

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, April 1, 2021, 8:19 AM, Lux, Jim <jim@luxfamily.com> wrote:

On 4/1/21 6:28 AM, N4ZR wrote:
> Just as an aside, I was once (too long ago) State Department desk
> officer for Zambia, during a major slump in copper prices, and saw
> first-hand the devastating effects on everyone when a country depends
> on one commodity.  I'm pretty confident that most of the current high
> price simply reflects scarcity (and probably also supply disruptions
> due to COVID).  One can hope...
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

Copper is a classic cyclical commodity - prices go up, mines reopen,
production increases, prices go down, mines close, etc. Typically it
varies about 50% over a sequence of years (on top of the generally
rising slope of a percent a year, etc.).

The last year has been a significant increase ($4/lb on spot market vs
usual $2-3)

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html

https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

(this one has a log scale on price, so be aware)