Re: [TowerTalk] copper

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper
From: Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:04:09 +0000 (UTC)
Radials:
500-foot spools of 18-gauge TFN, $16 each. Excellent shipping prices out of The
Heartland (Illinois or Indiana?).
https://www.ebay.com/usr/iwc2carl?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
That's ebay seller iwc2carl

I have purchased 10+ spools over the past 2 years. All good.
All spools have been "bakers dozens," with 30-50 feet of "extra" wire on each.
For radials, 18-gauge is just fine. I roll the whole spool out, tie one end to
a telephone pole and wrap the other end around the handle of my shovel. Then,
stretch the wire 3-4 feet. After that it lays nice and limp on the ground and
it isn't tempted to lift up or get ornery. It solders easily, cuz it's copper.

Works fine for wire antennas, too (save those for the low bands installed into
the tops of 200-foot pines).

Regards,
--Kirk, NT0Z

https://www.ebay.com/usr/iwc2carl?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com
and on the Amazon Kindle (soon)

    On Friday, April 2, 2021, 9:49:51 PM CDT, Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
wrote:

 14 AWG THHN was $67.89/ 500 ft today at HD.