Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Query

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <lists@subich.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Query
From: Jon Zaimes via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:50:40 -0400
I have 8 towers, with rotor cable runs up to 700 feet or so. Rotors are
HyGain/CDE T2X, Ham 4 and M-Squared OR2800.

Most of my rotor cables have been "scrounged" from salvage yards and other
sources. Telephone cable, computer cable, old RG8 coax --  I've even used
1/2" CATV hardline for rotor cable. Very few pieces are true "rotor cable."
One uses 24-conductor computer cable, with multiple conductors of No. 24 or
so paralleled to carry sufficient current. Few are continuous -- I use small
terminal blocks on a pipe or wood post a foot or two above ground, covered
with a plastic bottle for weatherproofing, to make a splice. Have never had
a failure at these points (22 years+), even in my wetlands environment.
Cables are laid on ground through the woods.

With multiple sections of cable, wire colors may not always match. Some may
have 2-3 changes along the way. Documentation is important for future
reference.

If buying new, consider sprinkler cable available at the big boxes.

I have 6-10 volt boost transformers in series with the brake transformer in
the HyGain controllers on a couple of the long runs. 8-10 amp capacity
needed. These are mounted on the rear of the rotor controller.

I put the rotor capacitor in a small box at the base of the tower, so those
two wires are not running all the way to the shack. If you put it at the
rotor, the capacitor will fail in the worst of weather (been there!).

Breaking the cable with a terminal strip in this box at the base of tower
also provides a handy access point for testing to debug rotor or cable
problems, and to measure for voltage drop on the long run to the shack.

When I have a rotor rebuilt, it gets a simple pigtail of 3-4 feet of rotor
cable through a feedthrough where the old terminal strip (on HyGain/CDE) was
located. Then connections are made with a small barrier strip inside a
4x4x2" Carlon weatherproof box (about $10 at the big boxes) mounted near the
rotor. I find this much more convenient to work on at eye level than dealing
with the terminal strip under the rotor (especially on bright sunny days).
And cheaper than a weatherproof connector that is difficult to replace atop
a tower.

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.