Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 07:51:17 -0700
On 4/3/21 5:51 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
This is my next step.

I'm using the Green Heron Everywhere wireless system for my antenna switching and rotor controls (RT-21's).

The RT-21's are off my operating desk and sitting on a shelf at the antenna entrance wall.

The next step is to move them out to the tower base in a water proof enclosure.

The other option is a 4O3A Rotor Genius.  Either run an either net cable to the tower or setup a wireless bridge.

Both of the above options require power at the base of the tower.

Rich - N5ZC

For any long run for networking, fiber is the way to go. The end points are about $50 each, and premade duplex cables are about about $5 + $0.10/ft for reasonable lengths.

If you don't need a lot of power, you don't need to run a full 15A branch circuit with 12AWG.  You can run much smaller wire, with transformer isolation, and use the right taps on a transformer to overcome the voltage drop. You'd have to look at the code to see how to make it legal, but, in general, once you've got that isolation barrier, you're not running a "branch circuit" any more, but rather "remote control and power".  I think it would be Class 2 or Class 3.

Since there's galvanic isolation, there's also no requirement to run a bonding/grounding wire in parallel. You'd establish a ground at the antenna end, and that would be your ground reference.

Right now, I'm working on a system that uses a battery at the far end and a current limited DC link as charging power.