Re: [TowerTalk] 160 RECEIVE ANTENNAS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 RECEIVE ANTENNAS
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:00:52 -0500
With any of these vertically polarized RX antennas, beware of re-radiation from your tower. If you can't put the RX antenna at least a half wavelength or so from the tower, try to position it so the tower is in a null. It may also be possible to detune the tower on receive with a reactive termination.

My lot is very small. I use two small shielded loops for RX on 80 and 160. Each is positioned broadside to the tower, so the tower is in the null. I was able to detune my 70 foot tower on 160, but not 80. That was useful when I had a 2 loop array, which was NOT broadside to the tower, but makes no difference with the current configuration.

73,
Scott K9MA