Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:17:43 -0500
I can't find it now, but a couple years ago I found some calibration data comparing the Loos PT-2 on 3/16 EHS compared to the SS wire rope it was designed for. I recall that the PT-2 read perhaps 10 percent high on the EHS. (The true tension was lower than the PT-2 indicated.) Since EHS is very stiff, that makes sense. However, K7LXC, in "Up the Tower", made a similar measurement, and found little difference in the readings. These measurements were all made with a piece of 19 strand 3/16 SS in series with 7 strand EHS and a commercial tension gauge.

If anyone succeeds in finding those measurements, let me know.

My Phillystran guys have the usual EHS tails near the ground, so I just measured the tension on the EHS. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use Phillystran all the way to the ground.

73,
Scott