Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage
From: Ken Alker <ka6ken@alker.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:49:32 -0700
As a follow-up to my below comment, it turns out that the Loos web page describing their 90 Model B non-professional gauge found at <https://loosnaples.com/product/tension-gauges/90-model-b/> states in bold, "Note: The intended use of this gauge is to be used on 302/304 1×19 Stainless Steel cable in appropriate sizes. If used on other cable types, sizes and construction your reading would be consistent (repeatable) but pound tension values would differ from those listed on the label."

I then noticed that (not in bold) on the Professional Models page found at <https://loosnaples.com/product/tension-gauges/professional-models/>, that it states, "All readings are based on 302/304 1×19 S.S breaking strengths."

Finally, poking around more, I found these additional notes at <https://loosnaples.com/how-tos/tension-gauges/pt/>, "GAUGE MAY NOT READ "O" WHEN AT REST, AS THEY ARE CALIBRATED AT MIDRANGE OF TENSION. ... IF FLAT SPOTS APPEAR ON NYLON SPOOLS AFTER EXTENDED USE, ROTATE NYLON SPOOLS 45°."

Ken