Re: [TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 06:38:53 -0500
Hi Jari,

I agree that, as a goal, you should always follow the manufacturers instructions. However, in some installations that may not be possible due to topography and other reasons.

Both my towers, 100' and 130' of Rohn 45, went up in 1998. The 100' is guyed with 1/4" EHS @ 30', 60' and 90'.
The 130' tower is guyed with 1/4" EHS @ 40', 80, and 120'.
Both towers use pier pins and a base plate that can swivel to release tension.

The Rohn 100' has one short Guy @ 62' from the tower base with two others > 75'. The Rohn 130' has one long Guy @ 170' from the tower base with two others ~ 96'.

The Rohn 100' has guys spaced 110 degrees, 120 and 130 degrees.
The Rohn 130' has guys spaced 110 degrees, 120 and 130 degrees.

The towers have survived direct hits from 3 tornadoes (EF0 and EF1), 2 Hurricanes - one with winds gusting > 110 mph and numerous T-storms, Macrobursts and Microbursts with winds approaching 120 mph, as well as countless ice storms and some with with heavy winds.

The Rohn 100' short guy @ 62' from the tower base prevents rotation via a side mount at lower heights. It would have been ideal to have the guy 80' from the base.

The Rohn 130' guys @ 96' prevent rotation from a side mount at 80' - it would have been best to have the guys 100' from the base. The third guy is 170' from the base - far longer than ideal.

Both towers have been up continuously for the past 23 years without any structural issues becoming evident.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

73

Bob, KQ2M