Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 element spacing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 element spacing
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:16:18 -0800
The story on modeling the Moxon Yagi is that I got lucky. Because I had been working with Brian, K6STI, I designed this antenna in 2003 using AO, and built it to the dimensions it produced. No offset factors were used. It's been up since 2003, and is about the biggest antenna we can keep in the air here on a 3400' high ridge facing the Pacific (147 mi/h max 3-sec gust measured).

AO uses MININEC, which uniquely handles the right angle stuff that NEC2 does not. Apparently NEC4 works OK, but I haven't tried it myself. So while it's true that the NEC2 analyses show the SWR is off in frequency, it turns out the physical reality is as hoped for.

When I was a grad student, I was most impressed when a prof made the point, "the model is not the thing," probably the single best lesson from all my years there. I tell my students, "Experiment trumps theory." A quote about this from K3LR is something like, "just build them to the dimensions, they work."

An updated paper "40m Moxon 2018 Update, Greg Ordy, W8WWV,
June 13th, 2018" that tells us, "For antennas like the Moxon, that cannot use the stepped diameter correction algorithm, NEC-4 (or MININEC) should be used as the modeling engine." I must have received this paper directly from Greg, as I don't find it online.

73 de Dave, W6NL/HC8L