Re: [TowerTalk] 6M yagi above a tribander

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6M yagi above a tribander
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:14:18 -0800
Just came across an interesting picture re the TH11 question

Slide 66 of https://wwrof.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WWROF-WEBNAIR-RX-Antennas-for-a-Small-Lot-.pdf

A horizontal Waller Flag with interlaced 6m beam above a TH11! That is A LOT of 6061!

Grant KZ1W

On 1/8/2022 08:35, Grant Saviers wrote:
My experience with a DB36 and 80 shorty dipole cause me to believe that linear loaded yagis can be significantly affected by other antennas on the same mast.  My dipole was both element aligned and boom aligned at 11 ft separation and significantly disturbed the DB36 on 30 and 40m.  20 > 6 there is very little interaction.

Off course every antenna combination will be different.  JK antennas advertises for a couple models that they are not sensitive to others. Modeling is a way to get an answer, more difficult with trapped antennas when the trap models might be hard to find.  Then the question is what interaction and how much of it (G, F/R, F/S, SWR) is acceptable?  My modeling experience is that a good swr doesn't tell you much about the other three, but a bad swr means something is amiss in them.

Some no/low interaction counter examples also exist - my 4L steppir with add on 6m elements on the same boom.  Because of almost 2x the height for my 4L, with the add ons, performs essentially as well as a 6m M2 6M5XHP 5 over 5 stack at 38/53ft. So with some hard work and luck re where elements can be placed it is conceivable a 6m 5 element could be interlaced on a TH11. Separate feedlines make such designs easier.  The 3 and 5 band no trap interlaced beams are awesome engineering works of art IMO, having tried modeling of a couple of them I'd like to build.

Also, the more separation likely the lower the interaction.  The VHF literature has much to say about stacking re capture area.  As a practical matter, plot the swr for each HF band before and after putting up the 6m. Then worry or not.  The wind load from either is low so your tower may allow a mast extension.

Grant KZ1W