Re: [TowerTalk] Reflector in the back of shunt tower for 160m

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reflector in the back of shunt tower for 160m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:25:23 -0800
All great advice. And even 1.5 dB can be the difference.

73, Jim K9YC

On 1/27/2022 9:19 AM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:
Be aware that the gain and F/B of the array is very sensitive to parasitic loss.
Ground loss will quickly diminish the current in the parasitic and the gain
will crash.
It’s easy to model this.  Just include a series resistance in the parasitic
element and watch the gain and F/B drop.

Field measuring the gain with on air tests can be difficult.  With only 3 or 4
dB forward gain compared to the single vertical, it can be very hard to
measure.  Even using RBN reports, QSB can easily mask this small change.
However, 3 dB is, well…..3dB and it's like doubling your TX power.  For the
really weak QSOs, when your signal is just bubbling around the noise, that 3dB can
make the QSO.

I recommend you read about my tuning method. It is not a trivial process to
tune the parasitic to match the model.