Re: [TowerTalk] verticals and radials

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] verticals and radials
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 18:43:31 -0800
I've read the referenced K5IU paper several times and always come back to this issue: How much does it matter that the currents are unbalanced?

Modeling in 4.2 of my measured 8x .25wl long 10ft elevated radial currents, which have 3:1 variation (average soil), shows a small fraction of a db shift of same gain and elevation pattern as symmetrical. So if 4.2 is to be believed (some say not), it isn't worth "fixing" my imbalance. I haven't noticed a performance asymmetry.

For resonant elevated radials, modeling with 1, then 2, etc shows the pattern is little affected beyond 2. Even for an extreme case of 4 all in "half the pie". For that case, the result is 2.35db F/B and +1db gain in the radial direction over 8 symmetrical. Not great but maybe useful. DXpeditions have used a single radial as an opportunity to create a favored direction in the pattern.

A little modeling of my T with towers in the model shows that they have a larger effect than unbalanced currents on the pattern symmetry. I suspect this is the case for most QTHs with towers, buildings, power lines, etc in the near field.

It's possible my analysis is missing something, if so, I'm sure I'll be advised there is contrary data. I think there is no correlation between these results and what happens in buried radial systems. Also, my T is 75' of vertical and 2x 33ft top hats and fed near its resonance Z with a TLT. Designs with skewed feedpoints for direct 50 ohm feed or very short radials may yield very different modeling results. As N6LF showed in his studies, my 8 radials should be shorter than 1/4wl for a slight increase in gain. Or conversely, elevated radial resonance doesn't matter much as the number increases beyond 4.

My measured radial currents sum to the vertical. The MFJ RF current meter I used must be calibrated on the bench, on all ranges at the test power level and expected currents.

Also, it is important in these discussions and measurements to separate antenna efficiency which is highly dependent on the radial system from far field gain/pattern which depends on the soil/salt water properties.

Grant KZ1W